A lot of people received a PVR like TiVo, Replay TV or a Windows XP Media Center for Christmas and are thinking "OK, now what?" We at PVRBlog, aside from wishing you happy holidays, want to provide a sort of introduction to using your new device. Inside this post we'll be linking to tips and guides for your new PVR to help you get started.
- TiVo Customer Support
- TiVo has done an excellent job answering common questions. They also have some good tips and tricks to check out.
- Tivo Community Forum
- This is the most popular TiVo forum, chances are any question that hasn't been answered on the Customer Support page is answered here. Don't miss this post of common questions and these tips for new users. Also, be sure to search their archives before posting a question.
- TiVo Central Online
- You can schedule your TiVo through the web using this site, which might be a good way to set up your Season Passes
- TiVo Rebate Center
- Don't forget to send in those rebates!
- The 30-Second Skip
- Select-Play-Select-3-0-Select. This button combo on your remote will enable a hidden 30 second skip button. Personally I prefer using the fast forward, but a lot of people like using this, so try both and decide for yourself.
- PVRblog's TiVo posts
- Because we've written a thing or two about these TiVos too.
- ReplayTV Owners Home Page
- A overview of offiial resources and support options.
- Schedule recordings for your ReplayTV over the internet through their web site.
- Lots of news and information for ReplayTV owners, including the titular FAQs.
- ReplayTV & Showstopper PVRs - AVS Forum
- Community forums for ReplayTV owners to post questions and discuss. Be sure to read their FAQs and search before you post a question, it's probably already been answered.
- PVRblog's ReplayTV posts...
- ... which we really should flesh out more.
Thanks Ben for your help filling out this section.
Windows XP Media Center Edition
- Using Windows XP Media Center Edition
- I don't know much about the Windows Media Center community, but this looks like the best place to start. They have links to a getting started guide, and a comprehensive community portal.
- The Green Button
- This is the Media Center equivalent to the TiVo Community boards mentioned above.
- Microsoft's Media Center newsgroup, an official forum from Microsoft to talk Media Center and get help from other users.
- Addicted to Digital Media, Matt Goyer's blog and Chris Lanier's blog
- Two blogs from people on the Media Center team and one from a "Media Center MVP," they regularly write about Windows Media Center Edition.
- PVRblog's Windows Media Center posts
- Which also feature stuff from Thomas Hawk.
Thanks to Thomas Hawk for his help on the Media Center links (and you should check out his site for more info about Media Center). I invite PVR fans to add their own picks in the comments to this post. If you still have a question that hasn't been answered, submit it to Ask PVRblog and our smart readers will do their best to help you out.